By Johanna Parra, MA, PPS. Orange County Dept. of Education firstname.lastname@example.org
Statistics on Mental Illness; Children and Teens
- Behavior/Conduct Disorder (10%)
- Substance Use Disorder (10%)
- Anxiety Disorder (8%)
- Learning Disorder (5%)
- ADHD (5%)
- Depression (5%)
- 1 in 5 children experience a mental health condition during childhood
- 50% of all adults with a lifetime mental illness report having symptoms by age 14.
- Only 1/3 receive any kind of treatment
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death in ages 10-34
- 90% of those who died by suicide had an underlying mental illness.
Source: Mental Health First Aid USA; National Alliance on Mental Illness