A Pastoral Letter from the Bishops of California on Caring for those who Suffer from Mental Illness Addressed to All Catholics and People of Goodwill:
1. Christ calls us to attend to those who suffer from mental illness and provide hope and healing.
2. The scope and burden of mental illness in our society is enormous.
3. Those suffering mental illness should not be stigmatized or judged.
4. The Church, health care professionals and scientific researchers should work together to improve mental health care.
5. We must meet and attend to those in need where they are.
6. Those impacted by suicide need our compassionate response.